Sunday, March 18, 2012

Procrastination

Discovering late last week that I had my first assignment due today, I looked over the task description and thought to myself "Ha, write 1600 words about myself, piece of cake". Hmmm not so much. If I'd been given an assignment to write about something I had to research the task may have been much easier. In reality who likes to toot their own horn and write about the qualities they possess that will make for a great teacher.

I started by writing a few dot points thinking they would be easy to elaborate on. The dot points were as far as I had made it. I found small tasks to distract me. Anyone that knows me knows that I don't enjoy housework and will usually find any excuse to avoid such tasks. To avoid the assignment that was going nowhere, I got my washing upto date, vacuumed, washed floors, changed beds and even considered cleaning out my wardrobe (not even the queen of procrastination could go that far). But no matter what I did that blank piece of paper that was waiting for a cracking assignment to be written was waiting for me.

Wednesday I had grand plans to getting something concrete down in the morning. Sitting at the computer I got my first migraine, which scared the crap out of me. Vision less than average and two kids that weren't aware that Mummy was scaring herself into thinking she was having a stroke (yes, do not google symptoms of any illness or ailment EVER).

I started getting somewhere on Thursday afternoon getting more than three words written down and starting to get in the flow of writing something that made sense. Then it was time to go to work! Getting home that night at 10pm sitting in front of a computer after I'd been doing just that for 5 hours at work wasn't so appealing. I thought I'd tackle it again in the morning.

Friday morning came and I thought I would get the grocery shopping out of the way early, by the time I got out the door it was after 10am and didn't make it back until just before lunch. Then followed more procrastination, cleaning out the fridge, getting the boys lunch and being distracted by my many games that I have going on my phone of 'draw something' (a beautiful distraction really). I got back into the study and started trawling through the discussion board posts other students were posting asking questions about the assignment and getting other peoples input on how to structure the assignment and what was required for each section. This was a mistake this was yet another distraction, but this distraction created more confusion about the task at hand. After reading the many, many posts I had to head to work again. A four hour shift which was a pleasant change to the usual five hours. Upon arriving home at 9pm I again planned to get some study done. It was more appealing to eat a late dinner, catch on the shows I had recorded on MyStar and get an early night.

Saturday saw a brief sleep in and snuggles with my boys :) then a couple of hours study before heading to work for the afternoon and then a party that night.

Sunday was planned to spend a lovely day with my family that went pear shaped and saw me taking the kids down to Hungry Jacks for lunch or Number Jacks as they call it. Being alone with two children who decided at the same time they needed to go to the toilet, proved to be a frustrating task. As I returned to our table I walked past the young girl who worked there with our lunch covered in rubbish. She'd cleared our table and we'd only been gone for a minute and a half tops! I told her that we were not finished. She stared at me blankly gave me a half arsed apology and continued on her merry way. Customer service at it's best. NOT! We left there and went to my parents place for a couple of hours, yes I was still avoiding the assignment was going nowhere fast. Just before leaving to come home my darling Master J was complaining of a sore belly and had a raging temperature. I bundled the kids in the car and made for home, Less than 5 minutes after pulling out of Mum and Dad's driveway Master J was covering my backseat in a rainbow of icy pole and lolly scented vomit. The vomiting continued when we got home between brief cat naps and delirium. My hubby took over mopping his brow and sitting him up when another round of nausea hit. I locked myself in the study and completed my assignment to a certain extent anyway.

I took care of the finishing touches this morning referencing and doing final word counts. Reading over it one last time I bit the bullet and hit submit. I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted. :) Until next week when assignment number 2 is due and the whole merry go round of assignment writing and procrastination will begin again. Back to my old work place tonight where I have picked up some hours for the next 5 weeks and I am excited. My week is starting off well, let's see where it ends up! And as for the assignment, the proof will be in the pudding.

No comments:

Post a Comment